Friday, January 20, 2012

Pizza Rice

I'm always looking for meals my stepson will eat. He is going through an unhealthy eating stage, so I have to sneak vegetables and healthy foods into his meals. The slow-cooker recipe magazine Fix-It and Forget-It had one labeled "kid-friendly" called Pizza Rice. I decided to give it a shot. This one is not all natural, so I decided to not put it under the natural recipes tab. You can make some substitutions as I did, though, to make it mostly natural.

The recipe in the magazine called for rice, and I chose brown rice. I used fresh mozzarella that I bought from a farmer, and I shredded it myself. I used fresh mushrooms, too. The only store-bought items I put in my pizza rice were pizza sauce, pepperoni, and black olives (I added the black olives to the recipe). I'm going to look into whether or not any nearby farmers sell pepperoni cuts. If I can find that, I will change it next time, as well. And if anybody has a good natural pizza sauce recipe, I'd love to know it!

This was possibly the easiest recipe I have ever fixed, and it turned out good, too. I will definitely be fixing it again!



Ingredients:

2 cups uncooked rice
3 cups pizza sauce
2 1/2 cups water
4.5 oz. mushrooms, undrained if using canned ones
4.5 oz. pepperoni
4 oz. black olives, sliced
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded

Combine rice, pizza sauce, water, mushrooms, pepperoni, and black olives in slow cooker. Stir, set to low, and cook for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Add cheese just before serving. (I let it sit in the slow-cooker on warm for about 10 minutes to melt the cheese before serving.)

No comments:

Post a Comment